Monday, March 25, 2013

Pizzzzaaaaaahhhhh

     When my husband and I worked together on the 1-10 shift, we would come home and every night we would devour a plethora of bad things. Pizza was one of our faves. We would come home after a morning spent of me getting sick (morning sickness) and trying to rangle our two-year old and one-year old together and an afternoon and evening working at an extremely stressful job and we would just binge. An entire pizza just for us. No sharing with kids, relieving our stress through the awesome taste of grease and all things fattening. I'm happy to report that in the last six months we have cut out our late night snack of all things unhealthy as we slowly progress on our journey to a healthier lifestyle. Today I took things a step further and thanks to the wonderful tool called Pinterest, I discovered the SPINACH PIZZA.

For details and recipe view:
or
  
     First things first, I needed a helper. My sweet just turned two year old daughter Evalyn Rae was happy to fill the position.
 
      Next, the ingredients.
And then we began.
Evalyn was not very thrilled about using the blender at the beginning. My 5 month old didn't seem phased, but Evalyn clung to me for dear life. And then we were left with this not so appealing mixture...
which thankfully looked much more appetizing once it came out of the oven.
 (Side note- the recipe says to use parchment paper so that the crust does not stick to the pan. When I asked my husband where the parchment paper was, he told me to just use wax paper because, "it is basically the same thing." In his defense I didn't tell him what I needed the paper for. Lesson learned... wax paper does NOT go in the oven. My first attempt at the crust did not look like the above picture. Oops. Thank you to my mom for showing up with parchment paper which may be used in the oven!)

And now the toppings!
Sauce: grape tomatoes and garlic! How simple! And here is Evie after shoving 5 grape tomatoes in her mouth and giving me that classic look of, "what?"
One thing I have learned from my husband is when making pizza, it is always best to put toppings on right after the sauce and THEN sprinkle on the cheese. You can't see it, but the onions and Canadian bacon the recipe calls for is all under there.



I must say I was pretty nervous about this one. I don't ever use a blender. In fact I don't think I've taken the blender out since we moved into our house four years ago and bought it to make mixed drinks. I don't ever eat spinach. This is part of what I need to change in my lifestyle. The main reason for not eating it was fear of the unknown, but now I know it CAN be good!  My daughter and mom both agreed that this is definitely a new must have and I am so happy that this all came together and was HEALTHY!! No more box pizzas for us!





No comments:

Post a Comment