Friday, March 29, 2013

What happened to the flavor?

Yesterday was a bit crazy. I've been trying to start making dinner around 3 or 4 in the afternoon so that by the time my mom comes over at 5 and the girls are getting hungry, we can eat. Some days this works, some days it does not. Life at home with three kids ages 3, 2 and 6 months sometimes does not allow me to tend to anything but the kids. So when my mom arrived yesterday at 5pm, I started cooking dinner then. I had found a pin on Pinterest that included 75 very yummy looking healthy casseroles. I had decided to first test out the Mexican dish, except my mom and I are not too into the spicy things so when gathering the ingredients I purposely left out the hot stuff. 

For details and recipe view:
or

I was excited to try the vegan crumble. As I venture into the world of the healthy I have discovered that cooking vegan friendly meals is much healthier. I still love my meat and eggs, but I am slowly integrating the animal friendly recipes into our diets. 



I had so many questions and hesitations about the crumble, but my main concern was if the taste and texture would be too much of a change for my picky taste buds.
First I crumbled the tortilla chips in the dish and then added the crumble, onion and garlic mixture on top.
 Usually a Mexican dish that requires pinto beans calls for refried beans. I do have to say that even though I was in a rush to make the meal, I did enjoy squishing my own beans. And it is probably much healthier this way. I don't honestly know, I could be making that up.
I added the squished beans and tomatoes to the dish and then topped it off with the remaining chips and cheese. Apparently I forgot to add lime juice and cilantro to the grocery list. This was probably a big mistake in making this dish without those two ingredients AND leaving out the hot stuff.
The casserole went into the oven for 13 minutes and we were all eager to dive our forks into it as soon as it came out. 
I'm not exactly sure how to describe the end result. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. The chips had a stale texture after being baked and the overall taste of the casserole was very plain. I felt like it needed taco seasoning. Or salt. Or something. Evalyn of course devoured her plate and my mom and I both found ourselves going back for seconds, but I probably wouldn't make this again. It's my own fault as I have discovered now that I have not yet acquired the skills to start chopping up recipes and making them my own. Surprisingly the crumble really did not make a difference in taste and texture with the exception of not leaving a greasy and heavy feeling after being eaten. That I will consider to be a good thing and will be looking to find more recipes to use the crumble with.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment